yesterday was wine tasting day! i moved around the furniture in my tiny apartment to squeeze in almost twenty people—all to raise money for my bff Terra’s participation in the Easter Seals Drop Zone program.
Bishop’s Cellar in Halifax donated all the wine. if you’re on the east coast you must visit their shop—they offer a perfectly curated selection of wines and the staff is equally charismatic.
here’s what we tasted:
1. Segura Viudas Brut Reserva, a crisp and not-too-sweet Spanish cava.
2. Flatrock Cellars 2007 Seriously Twisted, which Jenny (my co-host and sommelier) tried a few weeks ago at their winery in Niagara and could not praise enough.
3. Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2007, a wine i was instantly drawn to based on its serene grey label and smokey green bottle. it was fruity and sweet and also our splurge bottle ($29!)
4. J. Lohr Estates South Ridge Syrah 2006, a full-bodied red that was still light to taste—no tannins here!
5. Goats in Villages Shiraz-Pinotaz 2007, perhaps chosen purely because we’re fans of the winery and its cheeky name. also, as it was the fifth wine we tasted, i can only recall that it was loved by all…